2 days | Up to 8 participants
Available on-site or online
This two-day interactive training course will equip you with the core skills you need to write automated tests.
By the end of this live, interactive training course you will have the foundational skills to add and maintain automated tests. You will learn a highly-technical, bare-bones approach which will teach you not just how to use the test automation tool, but how the tool works. This will equip you with the skills you need to be adaptable across all UI-driven test automation tools, regardless of which programming language you choose to use.
By the end of this course you will:
- Write end-to-end UI automated tests for web
- Design robust and efficient automated tests
- Translate manual test cases into automated test cases
Trainer: Trish Khoo
This is a rare opportunity to learn from one of the best in the business. Trish Khoo is recognised as a global expert in testing and automation. She brings over a decade of experience to the classroom, including her background at Microsoft and Google.
Day 1: Write your first automated tests
- Automating your first test
- Finding elements in the DOM
- Interacting with elements with WebDriver
- Asserting expectations with RSpec
- Waiting for events
- Debugging tests with Pry
- Finding tricky elements with CSS selectors
Day 2: Test design
- Writing test suites
- Using before and after hooks
- What makes a good automated test
- Making tests fast
- Making tests deterministic
- Making tests maintainable
- How to design a good test
- Limitations of e2e tests
- Taking it further
- Basic Ruby programming skill*
- Basic command line skill
- Basic HTML and CSS knowledge
- Hardware and software for computer programming
- Hardware and software for video conferencing (online course only)
* Worried about your Ruby abilities? Check out my free Ruby tutorial and test.
The cost of running the course depends mostly on your training site location. I am located in Brisbane, Australia. I am available to fly anywhere in Australia and New Zealand to teach this course on-site.
For other locations, the course is available as an online classroom option. The cost for this option is AUD$2500 per attendee for the two days. Online groups of 3 or more are eligible for a discount.
If you need some help to convince your boss that it’s worth investing in this training course, I have a flyer with a “convince your boss” guide for download here.