Foundations of Test Automation
Learn test automation the right way with one of the best in the business. Trish Khoo is a former Engineering Manager at Google’s head office in San Francisco, skilled developer and testing specialist.
By the end of this live, interactive training course you will have the foundational skills to add and maintain automated tests. You will learn a highly-technical, bare-bones approach which will teach you not just how to use the test automation tool, but how the tool works. This will equip you with the skills you need to be adaptable across all UI-driven test automation tools, regardless of which programming language you choose to use.
By the end of this course you will:
- Write end-to-end UI automated tests for web
- Design robust and efficient automated tests
- Translate manual test cases into automated test cases
Trainer: Trish Khoo
This is a rare opportunity to learn from one of the best in the business. Trish Khoo is recognised as a global expert in testing and automation. She brings 20 years of experience to the classroom, including her background at Microsoft and Google.
- Basic Ruby programming skill*
- Basic command line skill
- Basic HTML and CSS knowledge
- You will need to bring your own laptop computer for computer programming.
Day 1: Write your first automated tests
- Automating your first test
- Finding elements in the DOM
- Interacting with elements with WebDriver
- Asserting expectations with RSpec
- Waiting for events
- Debugging tests with Pry
- Finding tricky elements with CSS selectors
Day 2: Test design
- Writing test suites
- Using before and after hooks
- What makes a good automated test
- Making tests fast
- Making tests deterministic
- Making tests maintainable
- How to design a good test
- Limitations of e2e tests
- Taking it further